We always see some designers going for more masculine tailoring or incorporating a tomboy charm into their collections for Women, but in the more recent shows for Menswear SS15 I’ve spotted several, typically female trends, taking over the catwalks. From prints and colours to clothing and accessories there is no escaping the idea that Menswear has been influenced by many of our own, more feminine trends, and not just by one or two designers either, but a whole host of collections have hinted towards more feminine trends in some shape or form.
So, firstly you may remember that AW13/14 was the season that welcomed all of those yummy pastel shades, from lilac cashmere coats at Carven to sugary pink hues at Topshop Unique.. well that trend is about to hit menswear in a huge way for SS15. Pastel shades and candy hues are not typically associated with Menswear, a hint of it here and there perhaps, but for SS15 be prepared for head to toe pastels.
[Topman Design, Versace,Kenzo]
Or how about open toed boots? They’ve been around a while for women, but can this Balmain pair, inspired by 70’s sporting icons, make them just as popular with men, too?
Oh, and speaking of footwear for men, do you remember me blogging a while back about Jelly Shoes making a come back for women? Well, I’ve officially spotted them in a range of colours for men at the huntergather menswear show for SS15..
We’ve seen so many styles of bags for men on the catwalks, but how about clutch bags for men?
For those who didn’t know, I am the biggest girly girl EVER. Anything pink, pretty, fluffy, flowery and feminine I want to have it! So it is no surprise that my favourite trend this AW is, of course, those gorgeous pastel shades as seen on the runways of Carven, Celine and Topshop Unique.
But what are the colours you need to know and how can you wear them?
Okay, so we all know what the typical pastel shades are (think mint green, lemon sorbet, baby pink, powder blue & lilacs), but let us take a minute to really appreciate the colours that matter this season (because they are SO pretty!)
These yummy pastel shades are most prominent in wools, cashmeres, silks and furs, but although runway shows are great for inspiration they aren’t the most wearable looks for the everyday person, which is why I’ve decided to come up with some top tips of how you can look pretty in pastels this season.
- Layer up!Layering these gorgeous pastel shades is really important this season, because it adds another dimension to an outfit and don’t be afraid to mix colours and textures! Think a thick woolen knit, a woolen coat and a pair of silky soft trousers in an assortment of pastel shades!
- Pastels, Pastels and more Pastels!How pretty is it to mix up your pastel shades.. a dusty pink coat, a sky blue blouse and a cream skirt? Or how about sticking to just the one pastel shade for a chic, feminine look?
- Soften it up!There are some colours I have missed off the list of ‘pastels’ that I feel add a really lovely soft touch to an outfit and these include soft greys, creams and whites. So, if you don’t love the idea of looking too sugary sweet in an all pink ensemble then add a soft grey woolen coat to break it up a bit!
- What to wear?Look for thick, chunky cable knit jumpers, soft woolen or silky skirts and of course big woolen or fur trimmed coats.
- ShapesOkay so jumpers and coats are best oversized this season with rounded shoulders and too-long sleeves, but you obviously don’t have to stick to this oversized look, as you can opt to go for soft and smooth feminine lines instead.
Anyway guys, I hope you enjoyed my little tips and ideas, because I actually really enjoyed writing them!